Keto (or paleo) Coffee "Bombs"

My son put his candy in my coffee and what happened was amazing. And frothy. And creamy-delicious. Ok, so it wasn't really candy... Just one of my paleo substitutes. It's made with coconut oil, so this "candy" just dissolved into a chocolaty goodness the moment it was submerged in the hot coffee.

It got me thinking, could I substitute the maple syrup for something without sugar to make it keto-friendy as well? And then I remembered how much I love bulletproof coffee, so why not add grass-fed butter?

I'm sorry for this tangent, but I feel it's necessary...

"Bulletproof" coffee has become huge in the paleo/keto world. For those of you unfamiliar, its frothy deliciousness is high in good fat and is known to offer health benefits, as well as fuel for your body and brain. 

I put "bulletproof" in quotes because "Bulletproof" coffee is actually a brand name founded by Dave Asprey. The real Bulletproof coffee is made with grass-fed (unsalted) butter and Brain Octane Oil or XCT oil. According to the company's website, "these oils are full of caprylic acid, which is anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral, which carries many health benefits."

The amazing frothiness comes simply from throwing these ingredients into a blender. 

So if I'm not talking about actual "Bulletproof" coffee, why bring it up? Bulletproof coffee is amazing, and Mr. Asprey deserves major props for its creation, that's why. 

Tangent done...

Right now, when I'm mentioning "bulletproof" coffee, I'm talking about adding about a tablespoon of grass-fed butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil to my coffee and blending. I also sometimes add cinnamon or vanilla, and my husband likes maple syrup in his. Add what you wish. 

Note: Since I'm not sure if coconut oil offers as many benefits as what you get from real Bulletproof coffee (anyone feel free to educate me), I add less. A little bit of it (less than a teaspoon) goes a long, frothy way. 

So back to my kid's candy...

I decided to melt 3-4 tablespoons grass-fed butter with 3 tablespoons coconut oil, and mix in some nutrient-filled cacoa powder (also about 3 tablespoons). I have some silicone candy molds laying around, so I poured them in.  I placed them in the refrigerator and they hardened quickly!

Please excuse the messy pour job.



For the size of my molds, I used three pieces in one cup of coffee, which made it equal about a tablespoon of each ingredient. The benefit of these? All you have to do is drop them in! Make them ahead of time and store in the fridge and you won't have to measure out butter and oil everytime you want a good coffee. 

They dissolve when you put them in, just give a little stir. To give it a real latte-like froth, you can still throw in a blender and bullet for just a couple seconds.

And if you eat natural sugars, add some maple syrup. Yummmm.....



That's some good froth.

Comments