It's not a diet! Warning: rant.

If there was a pulling-out-hair emoji I'd insert it here.

My best friend and I always talk food. We both love food. Paleo food. The problem is we live 1400 miles apart and not everyone else “gets it.” And when people don't understand your passion for health and wanting to nourish your body the way you’re supposed to, you tend to hear the same things over and over about this “diet” we are on, and although I don't (always) show my frustrations, I'm going to share them now because I know some of you can relate.

P.S. It’s not a diet. It’s a lifestyle.


Pet-peeve #1:

"Why are you on a diet? Do you seriously think you need to lose weight?" Where do I even being on this one? Ok. First of all, the number one Merriam-Webster definition of diet is "food and drink regularly consumed." Because I eat a "paleo diet" does not mean I think I'm fat and need to lose weight. It means I feel good and I don't want to feel bad like you do. You may not even know you feel bad because you've probably never really felt good.

Also, I'm not restricting any food. I'm simply not eating fake food. I can eat all the real, whole food I want and I'm never hungry. Good luck on your low-fat, less-than-1200-calories-a-day-diet.

Pet-peeve #2:

"You're so lucky you never gain weight!" If you think the definition of luck is "staying focused and active," you're right, I'm pretty lucky! Fact is, I gain weight fast-- If I don't make the decision to eat real, whole foods. Exercise also plays a role in this.

Pet-peeve #3:

"Just eat it; live a little...you only live once and we all die anyway!" Yes, yes I know we will all die. Eating healthy does not make you invincible, but it sure does make you feel good. I don't feel like being bloated, having gut issues, letting my migraines come back, not being able to lift things or run races, and not fit into my clothes. I feel good. Like I mentioned earlier, you don't know how bad you felt until you feel good. (I have to give my best friend's husband credit for that quote. He could not have said it better and it's so true. Thanks, Ben!) So in my opinion, I'm the one living.

Pet-peeve #4:

So this is somewhat related to the pet-peeves above, but it just irks me when someone takes time to make a comment on my way of eating, then continues on to complain about a certain health problem. Well....maybe it's all the processed foods and sugar...just sayin.

Pet-peeve #5: 

"Are you allowed to eat that?" I'm not only an adult, I'm human. So I can eat whatever the F!@% I please. Sometimes, although not too often, you will see me eat grains or the frosting off a cupcake. Leave me alone about it. Not that it's your business, but I am pretty good about staying on track--even after licking that icing off the cake. It doesn't mean my whole day is ruined.

Pet-peeve #6:

"How many calories are in that?" Seriously? A lot. It has a lot of fat too. Want some?

Pet-peeve #7:

"Omg you're letting your kid eat sugar?" Ok, so everyone that knows me knows where I stand on sugar. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to let him be the only kid at a birthday party not having a piece of cake. Do I think I'm really depriving him if I don't let him have one? No, and I wrote a whole separate blog post on that... But sometimes yes, even my son has sugar. Does he have as much of it as your kids? Absolutely not, nor is it a habit. but asking me this is like me saying to you "OMG, you're letting your kid have that much sugar? He's going to get diabetes and high blood pressure someday!"



Anything you'd like to add? I'd love to hear it!

Comments